As customary an old photo forms the subject of this geeting.
In June 1977 the tug D.Lauder was preparing to tow the dredge Nova Scotia to new owners in Quebec. It was tied up at the J.P.Porter dock on the Dartmouth side of Halifax harbour, just north of the Angus L. Macdonald bridge.
The tug was built in 1954 in at Port Dalhousie, ON for the J.P.Porter Co Ltd as the A.F.Fifield, named for one of the company superintendents. It was later renamed D.Lauder for another of the company personnel. When the Porter company was wound up in 1977 it was acquired by Sceptre Dredging and transferred to Sorel, QC.
Sceptre, after several re-organizaitons, was also wound up and the tug was sold in 1990 to Construction Ger-Con Ltée. They renamed the tug J.Manic before re-selling it to Navigation Harvey Frères (1992) Inc with the unlikely address of Thetford Mines, QC. They in turn renamed themselves Navcomar.
On June 29, 1994, while towing the barge Basse Côte from Sept-Iles to Monger Lake, the tug began taking water and sank . The crew took to a boat and were picked up by the tug Pointe Sept-Iles.
The sinking was the subject of a Transportation Safety Board Report :